Sunday, November 20, 2016

Arrowmont - Closing act 2016 - last class session of this season.

Whew, my oh my!

I saved all year long for this one.  And to say the least my class with Joanna Gollberg did not disappoint in the least.  Before I get to the class let me show you a few pictures from Arrowmont.  If you haven't been there, start saving!  I've simply never seen a better equipped studio to work in. Private benches, foredoms, and the tools.  Holy crap - - - - the tools.  Let the pictures speak for themselves.

Our classroom, as taken from my bench!

Half of the tool room in between our studio and the one that Mary Hettsenberger was teaching in.

And this hall was just outside of our studio.  Inspiration was everywhere!

This is such a limited view of the expansiveness of the buildings on the campus.  There were buildings for woodworking and their studios.  Ceramic studios, printmaking/painting, and textile studios.  There are galleries all over the building.  Galleries in the halls, by the store, in the wood working building just before the studio.  Auditoriums - yup several of them.  Resident studios too.

I was excited by my class and in awe of the surroundings, can you tell?  

We were encouraged to visit other classrooms.  Not to be there when lectures or demos were going on but to visit in between and see what was going on.  The creativity was staggering.  Indigo dying, felting on armatures, printing in patterns, mixed media, wood carving, metals.  

Every night there was a presentation of some sort.  Teachers, Teachers Aids (artists in their own right), Residents, the Quilt show opening complete with wine/beer and a snack table that was as good, if not better, than any I'd ever seen at an opening.  The residents even had shows in their studios complete with wine and beer.  

I'm still basking in the glow of  a week long stay.  And to remind me of the wonderful time I had...Joanna left me with a little handiwork.


No comments: