Thursday, February 26, 2009

Book Pig

If there were a 12-Step program for the Artsy Book addicted I’d be in it. The problem would lie in the fact that I do not wish to be cured. It’s an addiction and I’m not alone, hahaha. So how many Borders/Barnes are there? Gazillions, you say. My most recent spree netted me some interesting books so here and there through this blog I’ll add a book review when I find something interesting.

I’ve taken Susan Lenart Kazmer's classes and loved them. Her book is dynamite and so is she. Mixed media jewelry is complex in looks and fun to make because anything goes. Some times it doesn’t go well, but what the heck….trial and error will at least show you what not to do. Since I think both Susan and mixed media are the bomb I look for other books on the subject.

What I bought was: A Charming Exchange – 25 Jewelry projects to Create and Share, by Kelly Snelling and Ruth Rae.

It’s a collaboration of a group of artists, 37 of them. They are an on-line group from various countries, with varying degrees of experience. They are supportive to one another and inspiring. In addition to the book they have on line instructions for the 25 charms they created to exchange, Just Simply Charming.

What I like most about this book is the unusual necklace links and beads that pop up. The necklace called “Forest Fairy” has this neat link made into a web with beads and a spider. I can just see it re-fashioned in many different ways.

“Sacred Heart, Eye of God, Tire Swing Babies, Sea Shore Bracelet, and Fabric Orb Bracelet” all have wire connections in them that I have never seen before. It will be great to add them to others I learned from Sharliyn Miller’s “Ten Trippy Tricks” class.

Would I recommend this book? ---- YES, If you like wire work and mixed media it would be a great addition to your library.

4 comments:

angelinabeadalina said...

Well, judging from the cover (and yep, I do that when it comes to nonfiction books), it looks like a fun book filled with loads of ideas!

rosebud101 said...

Thanks for the review! It looks great!
http://rosebud101-fortheloveofbeads.blogspot.com/

Kelly Snelling said...

thank you for the awesome review! i'm happy that you are having fun and finding inspiration in the book. that makes me so happy!

Sharon Driscoll said...

I love the book Kelly and thanks for stopping by. I can not wait to try some of the great projects.