Saturday, May 29, 2010

Memorial Day


No, it's not the exact day yet but it is the weekend. A beautiful weekend here in Michigan. Warm on the face, good for the heart, noises of company in the yard. But, it's also a weekend to remember why I get to do all of these things.

I remember my father, he served in WWII - a Navy man who talked of war rarely, but enough so you got the idea that it wasn't fun and shouldn't be taken lightly. I think about a young boy from high school - his last name will forever be stamped in my brain. I wasn't yet graduated and he was killed in Vietnam. I knew of Vietnam. I knew of Vietnam when Eisenhower was President. Seems odd, right? Not if you were kid living near an Air Force base. We were involved even then - my friends parents were involved flying missions...in helicopters and jets. It was frightening, but otherworldly. You're a kid. And, it wasn't until much later that we started to get reels of film and still shots of that war. By then I was older and my friends were now involved - drafted - volunteering - doing what their fathers had done or were doing.

Now it's another war, only the geography has changed but somewhere there is a kid not unlike I was. It's Memorial Weekend and they're hearing the same things I am right now. And later, much much later - they're going to remember their friends and fathers on this weekend.

I don't know about this whole war thing anymore. The world is getting smaller and I don't want to hate anyone enough that I think they should be dead. And, I don't want them thinking we should either. Maybe it's just the day and the remembering but I want to believe that at some point there won't be another war because I think Einstein is right.


I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. - Albert Einstein


The flag above is in honor of Terry, my Dad, and all of the millions (including some I know and love) who have served in this countries military. I may not agree with war but I most certainly support you and our troops.

No comments: