Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Cake Pops

It’s official – I live like a troll. I have never heard of cake pops. We have no bakery here…unless you want to count the Walmart bakery. I’ve known the girl that works there for years but I know she wouldn’t consider herself a pastry baker. I used to decorate cakes – ah, that was in my twenties when I could afford the calories. I also made candy. That experience pretty much killed candy cravings for nearly a decade.



I was searching for something to make for the holiday – and somewhere in the insane Internet surfing I’ve been doing I ran across Cake Pops and Bakerella. What the heck – where have I been?

This is definitely like a call to arms for me. No one could ever accuse me of being a hip cat but how did I not know about this? I feel like an Ostrich in the Sahara. I’m making Cake Pops. This is sort of like the recipe I used but following some other recommendations for leaving them in the refrigerator for at least two hours before putting them in the dipping chocolate.

So what are your favorite recipes for the holiday? Have you ever made cake pops? The photo of finished cake pops isn’t mine – mine are still in the fridge .


This is your basic cake pop recipe:

Make a 13×9 cake. Any flavor you like, just follow the instructions on the box. Let it cool. Crumble the cake (always fun for the kids) and add in 1 can of frosting. Throw it into the refrigerator for 15 minutes.

1. After refrigerating, dust off your Playdoh skills and form the mixture into balls. Then place a sucker stick into the top of each cake ball. Pop them into the refrigerator for another quarter hour.
2. While waiting, start melting your candy melts.
3. After 15 minutes in the fridge, dip and swirl each pop into your candy melt.
4. Once you’ve got an even coating on the cake pop, place the stick into a Styrofoam block while the candy melt shell hardens.
5. Announce to your family and friends that the cake pops are ready.





2 comments:

Lori Anderson said...

I always wondered how they got them to stick together! I'll bet they taste really rich, too!

Sharon Driscoll said...

Lori - They're great and they are easy to make...suprisingly so. One 9X12 cake and a cylinder of cream cake frosting made 36 of them. Plenty to use and give away.