Monday, May 28, 2012

Hair Raising Days


I’m a dinosaur I admit it. As of today I have a brand new computer. A Samsung laptop, something or other, with a terabyte of space. Cracks me up since my first computer was an IBM with 2GB of space and w­e were totally up to date and cruising. It didn’t actually feel like that long ago. Now I want to take a class at Bead and Button that uses Photoshop CS6 and my poor little old Dell couldn’t handle it. It was old – admittedly 5 years old and I was still using A 2003 office suite and XP. I liked it – it worked for me. Now I am in hyper drive trying to get Windows 7 figured out, trying to down-load CS6, and am totally lost in my TAO class.

Okay, getting back in the real world again was definitely a must, but like all of you I’d rather be creating things. If I could afford for someone else to photograph my work I would. I’d also pay for cleaning the house and cooking meals but then I ain’t Oprah either so I might as well just skip that happy fantasy plan.

So, soon I will purchase the book Window 7 for dummies and try to dig into it. Last night and today totally challenged any menopausal brain cells I have left. I’ve never had a computer drive that didn’t have en eject button – Really – WTF. When the darn disc was in it and wouldn’t come out I had flash backs of discs and cassettes getting stuck in tape players. You and I all know people who’ve had to dig one of those things out of the slot. Sometimes you got lucky and sometimes the machine ended up toast.

I got it out – not manually. I did was as my DD always says – “Mom, Google it”. I found the answer and out it came. I will also say this dinosaur nearly packed the Samsung back into it’s cute little box for a return to the Best Buy store.

Now just how am I going to get this class accomplished? – Maybe if I tape recorded the whole thing while he’s teaching since I think I’m going to end up messing up a lot of info while fighting my computer. I leave in a week and I promise to practice but don’t hold your breath We’ve family coming – a wedding and lots of packing to do. If you see me at the show just give me a pat on the back and help take some good notes while we are in class, I'll be the one with my hair standing on straight end and making little twirls of it to pull out.

4 comments:

Jean A. Wells said...

Oh Sharon, I shall pray for you. You will need all the help you can get. I too have an old computer and am using XP still. I shudder when I have to upgrade. I don't learn new things easily - unless I want to of course!

Sharon Driscoll said...

I really want to learn the Photoshop CS6 but I will definitely admit I didn't want three learning curves at the same time. Computer/Windows 7/and the Photoshop. If I could have found a Dell that didn't take over a week to get here I'd of gone with the Dell just to take it out of the equation. Trust me - plenty of shuddering going on here...

rosebud101 said...

Huh? All those big words...You are way beyond me!!!

Jean A. Wells said...

All I've been doing this week is making jewelry to submit to Stringing. The deadline is upon us. Well, I do mean that's all I've been doing and my hair looks just like the picture in your post. On me, it isn't cute. Today, I wash it-stringing will just have to wait.