Wednesday, April 13, 2011

A Trip to Nirvana


Okay - it really does not take much to amuse me. Every one's Nirvana is different and I'm such a tool junkie that stores with tools and even a Harbor Freight can make me giddy at times. Oh Yeah, and I most certainly know I am not alone. I'm in good company.


The night I got back from North Carolina there was an email that came from the Michigan Silversmith's Guild. A former teacher from Traverse City who I greatly admired was selling her casting equipment. I had not seen Diane Hubert for a good fifteen years or so. She was a joy to have as a teacher - she was kind, nice, and great at disseminating information. You know those people - a teacher's teacher. I was lucky to have had her for an instructor.


I wasn't planning on purchasing casting equipment just yet but when I saw that - well, it was like serendipity. One more day out of town and it would have been history. Actually, if I hadn't contacted her that night it would have been gone. But DH said - "go for it", you know her and how well she treated her equipment. Yes, she is a good artist, good person, and took care of everything. Seven other people contacted her after me....


It's not set up - I just picked it up this evening - I'm walking on cloud nine.


Onward and upward. This is going to be fun to set up. Oh, and Diane showed me this great fan to purchase to pull fumes out of the way when you are fabricating. What a great set up she has.


I've never used a vulcanizer but Diane showed me how. Can you tell how stoked I am about this equipment? It going to drive me crazy to wait until I'll have to put an air vent up for the burnout kiln but safety first.


I'm feeling blessed. The photo is the pile of goodies in the back of the car. I couldn't wait to take a photo either....


2 comments:

Deb said...

Ohhh -Sharon, how exciting!! I love tools too - so I can see why this would float your boat.

You were certainly blessed & obviously meant to have them. I can't wait to see what you do when you are ready.....you're so talented that I just know whatever you do will be wonderful :)

Pretty Things said...

Tools rock.