Friday, August 20, 2010

From Wax Model to Silver Casting

These are pics of the casting I made from the wax model I showed in an earlier post. I should have taken a photo with all of the wax sprues on this piece after I took the cabochon out of it. It was a mess of wax sticks going here and there and looked like a tree on the back with roots going to all of the appendages. Once it was cast there was a small loss of some of the seaweed in the bottom of this piece (see the wax model in an earlier post) but, I can either fabricate a new piece to attach or alter what I have left.

The photo is pre-polish and still rough. I threw it in the tumbler for a couple of hours this afternoon so I could see where I stood for hand polishing and finishing but haven't taken any photos of it. I'll just wait and post it when it's finished. There is a second similar piece (created for a smaller square cab)that's already done in wax and waiting to be cast in September. So, maybe when I complete this piece I'll list it in my Etsy.

Onward and upward!

1 comment:

Deb said...

I can't wait to see the end result Sharon! I may no comment much...but I'm following the process with interest & not without a little envy.

What wonderful talent you have :)