Saturday, October 1, 2011

Sweet Way to End September - Day Trip!


Friday I took a day trip with my friend to the GLW Bead show in Southfield (about 3 hours away). Since it’s drive we make a day of it with lunch out and a few other stops. I even got to spend some of another friend’s money on some stone beads she needed and I’ll ship those to her tomorrow. Maybe I can start renting myself out as a “bead wench” – kind of like a personal shopper, but a lot more fun.

I found some good things – but certainly not the selection you can find at Beadfest or Bead and Button – and definitely not Tucson. One of the photos is of the new items that will go into my stashes.

One of the places we stopped was CR Hill. They are the Michigan version of Rio Grande Jewelry Supply but without all of the bells and whistles. Locally owned for a gazillion years by good people who know jewelry supplies and equipment, what’s good, what’s not, and how to service anything. We stopped to see about casting equipment for my friends shop. I bought some 22 gauge silver wire and some polishing wheels for my Foredom while she talked “shop”.


The other photos I added for today are of a necklace I saw in one of the shops…maybe it’s not new to everyone but I thought it was terribly cool. Thick leather flowers stacked and strung on a nylon braided cord (like a nice cord for Kumihimo). I’m wondering if the style could be translated into something for lampwork…..ah, the possibilities and the greatness of a busman’s holiday.


The back of that necklace incase you want to see how it was created!

No comments: