Friday, June 18, 2010

Bead and Button Skip Day for some Skullishly Wonderful Fun

Just about everyone knows I love skulls so why get me started. Oh forget about it - I'm already started.

Maybe it was one to many life drawing classes - I must have audited over a half dozen - on top of the ones I received grades for. And then there were the lessons from my Baba (grandfather) who saved me many an animal skull. And, Uncle Leon who sent me large ones from Wyoming. I really think my family wanted a biologist or zoologist. Whatever the reason it began a life long fascination with the mechanics and the symbolism.

Symbolism - - - and then there is that! You would not believe how I used to haul out an ancient symbols reference book at work when the kids (gang bangers and symbolism experts in their own right) used to try and yank my chain about whatever tattoo was carved into their arm/chest/leg (name your body part). They were always shocked to find out some symbols they thought were new (within the past 20 years) were actually linked to something ancient. I loved talking symbols and graffiti with them. They loved to teach an adult something ,once they figured out you were interested in listening.


This brings me around to Andrew Thornton's blog post for Thursday. He's having a giveaway - the photo shows what great skull pieces you can win. It's easy - just click on Andrew's name and go to his site. Post on Thursday's giveaway and you'll be registered. I did. Aside from all of that you are going to enjoy reading his blog. He speaks to the artist in all of us - he is insightful, open, and talented.

Andrew also blogs self portraits on Friday's. Maybe it would be good for all of us to have a self-portrait on Fridays. I'm not so sure how mine would look. I find his, at times, vulnerable and I'm not so sure I could do that. I look sometimes and I think I can see his skeleton. It's not that he is thin. I am thick. I don't think of things like that - like stature, age, race. It's just that he seems transparent, in a good way. As if there are no bad bones in his body. We could all use more insight, less bad bones, positive transparency - and an honest self-portrait once in awhile.

No comments: