Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Sleepless in Michigan


Sleepless in Michigan….Don’t you just hate it when you have art projects rolling around in your mind. The Gathering is coming up (ISGB Conference). I just want to scream sometimes, “GET OUT of there.” They cram themselves into every stolen space of my brain. Then, when I least expect it my mind is working out some semi-conscious solution to the design problem that plagues the project. STOP IT! I’m not Einstein working on MC² and waiting for some earth shattering revelations that can’t possibly wait. This stuff sometimes borders on me being a candidate for TLC and their show, “Obsessions.”

Good one…a show in which the sleep starved artist is never without an ink pen in her pocket (I’ve washed my jeans with these things in them and have the spots to prove it!) – She doodles on everything (and anything) when an idea rises to the surface. I once fell asleep while doodling in a sketchbook in a hotel room. The next day I woke up and the sheets were trashed. I had fallen asleep with the top off the marker pen and there were splotches all over the sheets. Can you imagine it? Scene: Locked in a room, insomnia, drawing on the walls the variations on a theme for a piece of jewelry…or is it?

Aren’t there horror films of this type of stuff?

Well, I’m up - and you’re not! There are birds out there chirping at this point. The dogs have been out but they’re not sure why. I’ve surfed the net, swaddled myself in fleece, combed and brushed, ate a piece of fruit. I give up. I have no solutions, no great new ideas, or a good night’s rest. Coffee is on…maybe the next revelation will come to me after the caffeine.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nights like this are so frustrating and exhilarating at the same time. Sounds like you already do it, but I keep a pen, notepad and tiny flashlight next to my bed to write middle of the night inspirations down. Sometimes doing that little 2 AM brain dump helps. Sometimes.