Friday, June 22, 2012

And I'd do it again...

The Amazing Holly Copper

 The last of the classes I took at Bead and Button was a lampworking class from Holly Cooper.  Admittedly the worst problem I have with lampwork is stringer control.  It has been beyond my grasp for a very long time.  Holly is an expert at stringer control.  She places it perfectly on her beads every time and in every place she wants it.  Her beads are rich with pattern all done with stringer.  I love them.  They have an ancient look about them, like a well-loved vase or statue that takes on a patina of its own as it is touched for centuries.


Holly was a kind and patient teacher.  She works exclusively on a hot-head.  To think she does her amazing work on what most people consider a beginner’s torch is just amazing.  Holly said there isn’t any use in changing what works for her.  And who the heck can disagree with her kind of success. 


So, if you’re wondering if it was worth it to take the class – oh hell yes.  I have never laid a stringer on so straight as I did with Holly’s approach to using the flame in that way.  Was I perfect with it right way – no hell no – but I can certainly see that about ten beads from now it’s going to get a whole lot better.  The only thing I need now is some PPP (practice, practice, practice).
Would I recommend this class to others?  ABSOLUTELY!  Holly was patient – she even had handouts (now when have you seen this with a lampworker – and it’s about time!) – the technique is totally solid and doable.  I’d even take a class with her again and I don’t repeat many instructors. 
Thanks Holly.  It was a great experience and love the way you do things.

4 comments:

Jean A. Wells said...

What amazing beads she makes. I love them too. I can't wait to see some of your beads made using her techniques.

Unknown said...

Yes Jean - her lampwork is incredible. They are museum worthy. And what a totally unpretenious artist! Just a joy as an instructor.

angelinabeadalina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
angelinabeadalina said...

Awesome beads from Holly! I'm with Jean, can't wait to see yours now :)